Thursday, February 10, 2011

Examples of recent savings.....

I thought I would blog a few of my most recent savings. I know how overwhelming this whole couponing thing is at first. All of the organizing and planning can seem like too much at first. I can relate, when I first started I went for smaller deals. I've bragged to more than a few friends about my very first couponing trip. It was about 3 years ago and it happened at Walgreens.
I studied and copied some other ladies blogs about available savings that week. I took my short list and gave it a go. I cannot remember what I bought exactly, but it was only 4 or 5 items.
When the cashier rang up my items and then scanned my coupons she looked at me like I was nuts! She then told me that I owed her nothing and she owed me 30 cents!! CRAZY! I was so pumped when I left that store. From that moment on I changed the way I shop for groceries and household products. I no longer shopped for what we needed. I ONLY purchase sale items and match them with coupons, if possible. Shopping this way changes everything. Sometimes it means bringing home 6 jars of peanut butter when we really don't need peanut butter. It also means that I plan our meals around what we already have in our pantry and fridge. I no longer come up with a list of meal ideas and then buy the items I need for that week. I check to see what we already have at home, then I plan our meals around the items I already bought on the "freap" (aka:REALLY SUPER CHEAP!)
The only items I do not by in advance are produce (although you can often still use coupons) and sometimes meats. I do try to bulk up on the meats when they are on special sale.
So here are a few of my most recent deals on the FREAP. Remember......I am not name brand loyal on most of the products I buy.


Gain recently came out with their own dish soap.
My Gain coupon was only for 50 cents, but when doubled at
my grocery store I got them for free, while they were on sale for
$1.00............FREE IS GOOD!! I actually had about 6 of these and
we are down to our last 2. This deal is a little older than the others.




These Finish dishwasher tablets were on sale at Walgreens,
$3.99 with a $1.50 back in register rewards (good for my next
purchase.) I also had 8 coupons valued at $2.75 each. By the
time I added my coupon to the sale price, then factored in my
register reward...Walgreens paid me 26 cents each to "buy" these.


Skippy is my most recent deal on the FREAP! This week
at Walgreens Skippy is on sale 2/$3. I happened to have
6 $1.00 coupons, from the booklet I found at Safeway (grocery
store.) So I scored 6 jars of PB for a grand total of $3. In the past
I would have paid $3 for ONE jar! With 4 little women, we go
through peanut butter like mad!!




No comments:

Post a Comment